Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Activities: What Do I Need?

A fellow Children's employee gave me some great ideas to expand upon my "Occupations: Who am I?" activity. With some of her wonderful suggestions I created "Activities: What Do I Need?" Although it's not my most creative title (the juices just aren't flowing at the moment), it is pretty self explanatory.

This mini-lesson is asking children to organize and categorize various objects with their matching activity. The activities were carefully selected to correspond with common every-day events. This activity is 13 pages including title page, directions, and sentence forms.

Targeted Activities:
-making cookies
-making  sandwich
-cleaning your teeth
-taking a bath
-having a birthday party
-making an ice cream sundae
-planting a garden
-painting a picture

I developed the product to target categorization and "what" questions. However, I'm sure there are some other creative uses.

-Suggested Construction-

1) Print activity on card stock and laminate for durability

2) Cut out the various activity cards (i.e.  Making cookies, taking a bath, making a sandwich etc…) and put sticky back Velcro on the back.

3) Cut out the different activity objects (i.e. rolling pin, soap, toothbrush etc…) and place sticky back Velcro on the back.

4) Place sticky back Velcro in the sentence form boxes so the activity cards and activity objects will stick.

5) This activity has been arranged to allow for easy use and storage. Cut the template pages (pages that contain blank boxes) along the dotted lines, hole punch, and attach using a metal ring. 
6) Use sentence forms 1, 2, or 3 to work on asking and answering “what” questions and categorizing.
 Activity Cards:
 Related Object Cards:
 The following templates were created for easy organization and storage. I currently use these same templates for my "Occupations: Who am I?" activity and it makes everything much easier. I am able to keep all the pieces together and I can easily find the objects I want. Just place the big activity card in the large box and the smaller related objects in the colored boxes.
 I also included three different sentence templates to target "wh" questions, complete sentences and correct grammar/syntax.


No comments:

Post a Comment